1997 SEBRING ENGINE STALLING

• jimk010266
  • 1997 Chrysler Sebring
  • automatic
  • 171 miles

1997 Chrysler Sebring JX Convertible, 4cyl/auto with 171K miles on body, 73K on replacement 4cyl engine and 62K on replacement auto transmission. I replaced the EGR valve a couple of months ago after the engine kept shutting off while deaccelerating for stops or turns and it had a rough/high idle. It idled smooth instantly and ran fine for a while but has started back again. Now, when I let the engine run for several minutes before driving it it reduces the initial driving stalls but will still happen from time to time even after driving it for a while. I sprayed the EGR valve 'pin' with WD40 to keep it loose but it has started back again - thought it might be sticking. Today, I couldn't keep it running at idle in the driveway as it kept shutting down, although it ran longer at idle each time I restarted it. I'll respray the valve again today and see what happens. Any thoughts?

Sunday, June 26th, 2011 AT 1:47 PM

• rasmataz

Do you have a check engine light or has flashed and disappeared-When was last tune-up?

Use a Carb cleaner and bore brushes and clean out the passages too-continues check the idle air control motor and throttle positon sensor-

Sunday, June 26th, 2011 AT 5:25 PM
  • jimk010266

No check engine light at all. Last tune up in the winter. Thanks for the comments - I'll work on it out and followup.

Sunday, June 26th, 2011 AT 9:48 PM
  • rasmataz

We'll be waiting for your return and the fix

Sunday, June 26th, 2011 AT 10:05 PM