WHY DID PCV PLASTIC COVER BLOW OFF ON MY 97 ...

1997 Chevrolet Silverado

willietownsend

February, 27, 2013 AT 11:09 PM

Why did PCV plastic cover blow off on my 97 Chevy Silverado 5.7L?
I was trying to crank my silverado and the PCV plastic cover just blew off. It made a pop and blue smoke came from under hood and thats when I notice the plastic PCV cover blown off. What could have cause this to happen. I wish that it was some kind of way to post pictures to show what I am taking bout. The plastic PCV cover has the 90 degree elbow on it.

Blue Smoke

Blue Smoke

February, 27, 2013 AT 11:23 PM

The pcv system may have a problem, clogged? Possibly too much crankcase pressure? With a warm engine remove oil fill cap, is it puffing out smoke? If so, that is blow-by.

February, 27, 2013 AT 11:27 PM

Just to add, I melted a piston, once, along the edge where the rings are located. The crankcase pressure was so high, it blew the pcv valve out of the valve cover and sprayed oil all over the engine compartment.

willietownsend

March, 1, 2013 AT 2:50 PM

How can you correct this problem?

March, 1, 2013 AT 3:01 PM

It depends on the problem, if it has a lot of blow-by, piston rings.

willietownsend

March, 1, 2013 AT 5:19 PM

I put that new plastic cover on and new PCV valve and it is driving good. I just don't want it to happen again.

March, 1, 2013 AT 6:59 PM

The new valve might have fiXed it, hopefully.

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator