LEFT FRONT WHEEL MAKE A NOISE WHEN BACKING UP ...

1997 Chevrolet Lumina

joe1953

January, 17, 2013 AT 4:36 AM

Left front wheel make a noise when backing up when I step on the brake, do the brake caliper suppose to be loose? The brake pads are not worn out.

Caliper

Jacobandnickolas

January, 17, 2013 AT 4:37 AM

The brake caliper should be tight.

joe1953

January, 17, 2013 AT 4:55 AM

The brake caliper is not tight and the two bolts is tight, what I have to do to make the brake caliper tight.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 17, 2013 AT 5:03 AM

The bolts are what tighten it. Remove it and check to make sure the bolts aren't stripped part of the way and not allowing the bolt to tighten.

Go to this link and you will watch a video on how to replace brake pads. You will see what needs tightened.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

joe1953

I screw the two bolts out they don't look like they are stripped, I don't see what need to be tightened, do the brake pads help to keep the caliper tight.

Jacobandnickolas

No. What part of the caliper is loose? When you tighten the bolts, does the mounted part of the caliper get tight?

joe1953

After I tighten the bolts I can move the caliper like from side to side just a little.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 18, 2013 AT 1:03 AM

The center of the caliper is on a slide and has to move. However, the part that is bolted should be secure.

joe1953

January, 18, 2013 AT 2:49 AM

The only thing I can see that the caliper slide on is the two bolts I believe the caliper is what makeing the noise when I step on the brake it don't make the noise until I back up and step on the brake, what could be worn out, I need to know what to buy I thank you for helping me for trying to find the problems.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 18, 2013 AT 2:57 AM

That is correct. It should slide on those bolts. However, the caliper piston should remain extended so there isn't play between the rotor and the brake pads. Thus, nothing should really be "Loose"

Can you upload a pic for me to see what is loose?

joe1953

January, 18, 2013 AT 3:14 AM

I will try to see what I can do.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford