Trouble staring Blazer in below freezing temperatures

SHECAZ
  • 1997 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have a 1997 chevy blazer 4x4 that started this winter to act up. When temperatures get below 32 the blazer takes forever to start. But when temperatures are above 40 it starts on the first try. Thats the only time I have trouble starting it, please help. Thank you.
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 12:01 AM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
There are a few things that get affected by low temperatures.
First, the battery will not have as many, "Cold Cranking Amps", (CCA), at 30 degrees than it does at 40 degrees. Most batteries give the CCA at a certain temperature for testing purposes to see if the battery is working properly. If your battery is getting near the end of its service life, you might want to take it to a parts store or repair shop and have it tested.
The thickness of oil and how it flows near freezing is also a factor. Using a weight that is above what the manufacturer recommends will lead to hard starting and engine damage as the tolerances are tight in most new engines and weights like 20W50 are seldom used. This is because moving heavy oil around in an engine takes away power and increases fuel consumption. A lot of new cars use 0W5 weight oil with very small and tight bearing tolerances. This means less oil and thin oil, so it allows for less parasitic drag on the motor.
You can get an electric battery blanket and oil heater if you live in a cold climate. They usually have a short electrical cord to make hooking up when parked at home easy.
I hope this information helps.
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 1:14 AM
SHECAZ
I've had the battery tested and it is a good battery. I use 10W30 oil when I have my oil changed or put in new. Since the temps have been in the 50's I haven't had any trouble starting it, I just can't understand why its doing it or what is causing it. Thanks for replying to my question.
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 2:59 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
You are welcome. If you ever need anything else I will be here.
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 4:57 AM