CAR WILL START BUT WILL NOT DRIVE RATTLE FROM CLUTCH/GEARBOX

• manda260163
  • 1996 Volkswagen GTI

Hi, my p reg golf gti has only just had a gearbox and clutch replacement due to gearbox failure and today decided it would start, but there is no bite point on the clutch and when released, the clutch makes a rattling noise and the car will not pull away at all. The gears are going in fine, the clutch seems to be working (short of me dropping the whole lot out of the car) and I cannot get any rotten answers on the internet. The car will not drive in any gear at all and the only thing it sounds like is the bearing in the clutch has slipped. Any help would really be appreciated as the car is immaculate for the year and I really would like to get the problem sorted out.
thanks everyone

Monday, April 9th, 2012 AT 6:42 PM

• djcl
  • 786 posts

I think you will have to pull the transmission and look around

Monday, April 9th, 2012 AT 7:04 PM
  • hmac300

Sounds like a clutch problem more than anything. If it's hydraulic make sure that the hydraulicsa re working andthen check for a bent release arm. Hopefully you put the 8 mmbolt to hold the release arm in placebefore pulling the trans. Also alot of those botls are torque to yield an dthey should NOT be reused.

Monday, April 9th, 2012 AT 7:12 PM