ALTERNATOR BELT WON'T TURN

1996 Toyota Corolla

mrrandy2020

May, 30, 2012 AT 10:47 AM

Hi - I'm trying to get my daughter's used Corolla back on the road. I replaced the belt for the alternator, and got it on the pulleys okay, but now when I turn the engine over it won't turn. I adjusted the tensioner tighter and looser in both directions, but nothing happens. Is there something serious going on here? The belt goes around two other pulleys, and none of them are turning. I'm wondering what is going on, and don't like the idea of having to tear into the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Changing Drive Belt

djcl

May, 30, 2012 AT 11:27 AM

Remove the belt and see if all the pulleys turn free by hand

May, 30, 2012 AT 12:30 PM

Was problem there before replacement of belts?

mrrandy2020

May, 30, 2012 AT 10:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what happened to prompt the replacement of the belt - I kind of just inherited this car, so I'm going in without knowing a lot of about the background. It's been awhile since I've worked on cars, so I'm behind the curve. I know the alternator pulley spins freely, but the belt goes around two other pulleys - I think 1 of them is the power steering pump (which I think had issues and wasn't working so maybe it s seized) and the other is on the engine (crankshaft pulley?). There's another belt which is adjacent to this one, and it turns. I didn't look a lot at what was happening yesterday, but your input gave me some good starting points. Thanks.

djcl

May, 31, 2012 AT 12:00 AM

Let me know how it works out

May, 31, 2012 AT 4:25 PM

If you mean the engine runs without the belts turning, you have a bad harmonic damper and that means you need to replace the crank pulley.

djcl

June, 1, 2012 AT 12:42 AM

No remove all the belts and see what doesn't spin with your hand

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement