STARTS UP FINE BUT IT STALLS

1996 Saturn SL2

Domwilson15

February, 28, 2012 AT 6:18 PM

My 1996 Saturn - on gas a little and I heard a rattle type noise when I put my foot on the brake but when I drive it runs smooth.

My oil also burns the rings on the engine so I have to get frequent oil changes but the car runs smooth besides the rattling noise when I put my foot on the brake.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

saturntech9

February, 28, 2012 AT 6:50 PM

Just to add to this one a compression test will not tell you if the oil rings are good. It will only tell you if you have the correct compression. Since oil rings are below the compression rings and dont make compression. They only keep the oil from getting past the compression rings and into the combustion chamber and burned. Most likely on that car the oil rings are stuck in the pistons in the retracted position so there not scraping the cylinder wall keeping the oil from getting past the compression rings.I have apart a ton of those engines and that is what I have seen. Also bad valve stems seals on the head. If your loosing a lot of oil though its the oil rings. As far as your rattle at a stop I would check and see if your cat is broken loose and rattling. Also inspect you upper engine mount for being torn and colasped. Thats the mount right between your coolant bottle and valve cover. Also if you have a automatic transmission I would check the mount between your subframe and the transmission see if its colasped or broken loose. It should be pretty thick when they colaspe they become a lot thinner. You can see the rubber in the mount if you look from the passenger side at the transmission while your underneath the car. Also you said it stalls what do you mean by that?