WHERE IS THE STARTER RELAY LOCATED ON A 1996 Saturn SL?

RON DEVERGILES
  • 1996 SATURN SL1
It is part of the engine management & ignition system located somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter. Under dash, under hood, on firewall?
Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 6:19 PM

In the underhood fuse box.
Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 9:11 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one the starter relay is at the base of the steering column taped to the wire loom. They rarely go bad so your barking up the wrong tree if the starter is inop. Its very common for the starters to go bad on those cars. Have you already tested the battery made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Also do you have a manual transmission or manual?
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 3:41 AM
2NABOBBY
  • 1996 SATURN SL1
Where is the starter relay located on a 96 Saturn SL1?
Sunday, December 24th, 2017 AT 2:56 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
So what is your car doing?No crank no start?Do you have a test light to trace power it's really easy to trace power on the starting system on that car. Also have you had the battery tested and made sure the cable's are clean and tight?If all that is good it's most likely you have a bad starter. But we need to rule the battery and cables out then trace the power to the purpl wire on the starter. If your getting power on the purple wire then you have a bad starter.
-2
JACKITINTHEBACKYARD
Mine is in the same spot, tested everything but the starter relay, only cuz I cant find it. I have the part in my hand and the dash ll torn off. Can u tell me where to find this thing?
SATURNTECH9
I really doubt you have a bad starter relay I have replaced very few of them in my many years of working on saturns. Its located at the base of the steering column taped to the loom. You should have power to both yellow wires at the relay with the wires plugged in and the key in the start position. You most likely have a bad starter I have replaced tons of them. Let me know what you find and will give you the next step.
+1
SATURNTECH9
Also if you dont have power to both those wires dont replace it till you give me the results of what you find and I give you further instructions.I have also seen a few remote keyless entry modules cause a no start.
SATURNTECH9
Also what year and model saturn do you have?
JACKITINTHEBACKYARD
I looked just where you said several times and im still not finding the damn thing. I have already tested the starter, both the motor & solinoid appear to be going fine, the lights dim when I turn the ignition stwitch which I interpret as a short somewhere along the path.
JACKITINTHEBACKYARD
Its a 96 sl1
probly y I couldnt find the relay where u directed me.
SATURNTECH9
To be more spefic where the relay is look to the left of the steering column over by the pcm. Also I would test the relay before changing it because they rarely fail and I mean very rarely. Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?Also do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Its a simply circuit to trace. If you Had a short somewhere you would blow the fuse not just have the lights dim. So you already had the battery tested and made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?Just to rule that out.
-2
JACKITINTHEBACKYARD
It is a manual, iv been pushing it to pop start for the past month haha.
I have tested the battery, do have a multimeter and the cables appear to be fine.
Still cant find the relay though, not sure how I could be missing it.
+1
SATURNTECH9
I cant figure out how you can be missing it ethier. Alright put the car in neutral ebrake on. With everything plugged in go to the clutch switch with the clutch switch pushed all the way in and the key in the start position you should have battery voltage to the yellow wire and purple at the clutch switch.
SATURNTECH9
Let me know what you find.