THE IDLER PULLEY BEARING FROZE UP ON THIS CAR

• gleksing
  • 1996 Saturn SL1

The idler pulley bearing froze up on this car. Upon removal we discovered the mounting base and the bolt that hold pulley on was worn down. When bearing froze the pulley actually spun on the mounting stud! Any ideas on an inexpensive fix besides pulling motor and replacing front plate?

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 5:07 PM

• saturntech9

You dont have to remove the engine to replace the front cover I have removed them tons of times to replace timing chains etc without pulling the engine.A cheap fix would be to get a used front cover and install it.

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 5:13 PM
  • gleksing

Really? Pretty tite working space! Any other ideas on an easier fix? A friend suggested liqid metal and forming a new mount? I dont like it tho not reliable. Like your idea better

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 5:24 PM
  • saturntech9

If you put a floor jack under the oil. Pan remove the upper mount wheel and splash shield that will give you the room you need.I wouldn't try to rig a repair on that the belt puts a lot of pressure on that pulley. If it were my car I would get a used front cover to fix it.

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 5:36 PM
  • gleksing

Yup thats what I will do. Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 5:55 PM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome I like to use permatex ultra grey silicone to reseal the front cover.

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 AT 1:26 AM