THE IDLER PULLEY BEARING FROZE UP ON THIS CAR

1996 Saturn SL1

gleksing

December, 18, 2012 AT 5:07 PM

The idler pulley bearing froze up on this car. Upon removal we discovered the mounting base and the bolt that hold pulley on was worn down. When bearing froze the pulley actually spun on the mounting stud! Any ideas on an inexpensive fix besides pulling motor and replacing front plate?

saturntech9

December, 18, 2012 AT 5:13 PM

You dont have to remove the engine to replace the front cover I have removed them tons of times to replace timing chains etc without pulling the engine.A cheap fix would be to get a used front cover and install it.

gleksing

December, 18, 2012 AT 5:24 PM

Really? Pretty tite working space! Any other ideas on an easier fix? A friend suggested liqid metal and forming a new mount? I dont like it tho not reliable. Like your idea better

saturntech9

December, 18, 2012 AT 5:36 PM

If you put a floor jack under the oil. Pan remove the upper mount wheel and splash shield that will give you the room you need.I wouldn't try to rig a repair on that the belt puts a lot of pressure on that pulley. If it were my car I would get a used front cover to fix it.

gleksing

December, 18, 2012 AT 5:55 PM

Yup thats what I will do. Thanks for your help!

saturntech9

December, 19, 2012 AT 1:26 AM

Your welcome I like to use permatex ultra grey silicone to reseal the front cover.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions