GM 3.4 L WON'T START

1996 Pontiac Transport

steve west

July, 26, 2011 AT 7:59 AM

1996 Pontiac Transport 3.4 engine w/197000 mi turns over but won't start. This was an intermittent problem but now I can't get it to start at all. I smell gas after turning it over for a 10-15 seconds so it's a spark issue?
Any ideas where I should begin my quest?

Thank you

steve west

July, 29, 2011 AT 11:47 AM

I'm getting spark from the three spark plugs at the front, the one's at the firewall are really hard to get to, but I don't hear any combustion at at all or smell any exhaust.
So now I should be thinking fuel supply.
Does anybody have any words of wisdom? I checked all the fuses.

October, 14, 2011 AT 8:07 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang