HOW DO I BYPASS THE ANTI THEFT SWITCH? CAR ...

1996 Pontiac Sunfire

stadley

November, 16, 2012 AT 2:26 PM

How do I bypass the anti theft switch? Car starts but runs only for 15 30 seconds and anti theft lite comes on and shuts car off. Very frustrating

Wrenchtech

November, 16, 2012 AT 2:31 PM

You cannot bypass the system. It needs to be operational and you need a Tech2 scan tool to be able to diagnose the problem.

kimcclen

November, 27, 2012 AT 3:30 PM

Mines needed the passlock sensor, which was failling. Its in the ignition switch. With the resistor is built in. The sensor wasnt communicating with the resistor hendering the info to the module, shutting down the car. The part is 75 at partsgeek. Com. Or the resistor could be failing. Your key probably wouldnt have a chip. BUT if it does, look at youtube video nerdboytv and go from there.

Wrenchtech

November, 27, 2012 AT 3:46 PM

Please don't confuse the poster. This car has a Passlock system that doesn't use a resister or a key chip.

kimcclen

November, 27, 2012 AT 6:49 PM

Ok, if it has the passlock system, then a passlock sensor COULD BE replaced then. Bypass passlock sensor @ autozone, oreilly, partsgeek. I said probably wouldnt have a chip also, read expert.

Wrenchtech

November, 27, 2012 AT 9:47 PM

I'll tell you again. This system uses no chip, no resister, and I'll bet you have no idea how to bypass this sensor. This system isn't shutting down at initial start up as an improper Passlock code would do so it needs to be diagnosed as first posted and stop confusing the poster with misinformation.