OLDS SL LEAKS WATER IN CABIN

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva

dhardie

April, 12, 2011 AT 9:09 PM

Water leaks into passenger cabin during heavy rain on drivers side front and back floor is wet on carpet front and back96 olds achieva sl

caradiodoc

April, 12, 2011 AT 9:32 PM

I recently read a reply to the same problem with a Pontiac Grand Prix. There is some kind of plastic box under the hood that has to be resealed on the top. I'm sorry I can't give a better description than that, but they were told to use a silicone gasket sealer. Apparently this is a real common problem.

fixitmr

April, 12, 2011 AT 9:38 PM

Do you know if car has been in accident/repaired?

PROTECH1980

April, 12, 2011 AT 10:17 PM

Hey Caradiodoc, just wanted to add to this post: Subject: Water Leaking into Passenger Compartment
(Apply RTV Silicone Sealer to Top Vent Grille Assembly)

Models: 1996-98 Buick Skylark
1996-98 Oldsmobile Achieva
1996-98 Pontiac Grand Am

Condition

Some owners may comment on water leaking into the passenger front floor area.

Cause

Condition may be due to poor adhesion of the top vent grille assembly to the windshield. The existing seal tape can separate from the glass or the grill above the A/C air intake canister and allow water to overflow into the passenger front floor area.

Correction

Remove the top vent grille assembly. Clean the grille assembly and the surface of contact on the windshield of all sealing tape and adhesive residue. Apply a bead of RTV Clear Silicone Sealer from SM(R), Part # 08662, or equivalent, to the underside of the top vent grille assembly where the old seal tape was removed. Reinstall the grille. Wipe excess RTV Sealer horizontally across sealing area to achieve a smooth finish.

caradiodoc

April, 12, 2011 AT 11:05 PM

Thanks PROTECH1980. I copied that to my "memory banks" on my hard drive a few days ago, but now I can't find it. Does that apply to the Grand Prix too? That's what the other fellow had.

PROTECH1980

April, 12, 2011 AT 11:10 PM

Hey Caradiodoc, the grand prix is a different problem, here I'll post it here so you can grab it: Hey Raz, just wanted to add to this one because I just had to deal with similar issue in shop. This is a Some info from another grand prix owner that posted this on the web, I found to be helpful: I also had the same problem and spent over two thousand dollars before I found out what the problem was. All Pontiac grand prix from 1999-2009 that leak water on passenger floor is from the following: The front cowl panel, [Where windshield wipers are] Has a air box inside the panel, That when built has a two piece construction that is sandwiched together at factory, and over time, summer heat, Icy winters etc, dries out and allows water to get into air box and drip out below dash on passenger side. To fix: Remove wiper arms, remove cowl screen, and you will notice a box looking square on passenger side, Clean out in and around box opening top. Must be clean and dry. Next use ether urethane windshield sealant, or silicone water proof sealer. Reseal all the way around box, [Where metal body meets air box.] Make sure to re seal all the way around air box and let dry overnite. You can buy ether sealants at your local automotive parts co

caradiodoc

April, 13, 2011 AT 12:06 AM

Thanks bunches. That is the reply I saw a few days ago and thought I saved. I'll try it again with a file name I can remember!

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Seat Switch Replacement GMC Yukon
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon