CAR STALLS AT RANDOM TIMES.

1996 Nissan Maxima

timkojeff

October, 15, 2011 AT 11:51 PM

My Maxima's engine starts and stops intermittently. At random times, it will start********. Sometimes it will die, other times not. It does it all all RPM speeds and loads. For example, I was getting on the freeway and it did it. I was accelerating at about 3000 RPM. Another time, it did it at idle.
This problem does not happen all of the time. It happens about every 4 days or so.

So far, I have cleaned the mass air flow sensor, cleaned the idle air control valve, and have replaced the fuel filter.

Jacobandnickolas

October, 16, 2011 AT 12:17 AM

Has the check engine light ever come on? When it dies, does it start right away or do you have to wait?

timkojeff

October, 16, 2011 AT 1:28 AM

No lights ever appear and a scanner doesn't reveal any problems. After it dies, it starts up with no trouble, but sometimes has the same problem after being restarted.

Jacobandnickolas

October, 16, 2011 AT 1:49 AM

This is a tough one because you have no chance to check what is happening. At this point, the only thing I can recommend is to get a live scanner and have it connected while driving. By doing that, you can check the scanner after it happens. With some luck, the scanner will have it in memory and you can retrieve it.

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995