GRAND NO ACCELERATION POWER ON THE HIGHWAY

1996 Mercury Marquis

2CarPros-Archives

November, 19, 2010 AT 7:56 PM

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis mileage: 162,000. I have recently replaced all of the oxygen sensors, fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel regulator and the car still has no acceleration power on the highway. I also discovered the reset button is stuck on the emergency fuel shut off switch located in the left side of my trunk. I need to know if it is possible to bypass or disconnect this shut off switch and if so, how? If this is not possible, where can I purchase a new switch? I live in Fargo, ND. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you in advance for your time and your cooperation.

2CarPros-Archives

November, 19, 2010 AT 7:58 PM

Your lack of acceleration is probably caused by a partially plugged catalytic converter not the switch. As for the fuel cutoff switch you mentioned its function is to stop the fuel pump if an accident occurs. This switch should never be disconnected or bypassed. If you feel it is stuck, the part is available from the manufacturer of your vehicle.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Pump Pressure Test