NOISE FROM FAN AREA

1996 Jeep Cherokee

frogca

July, 16, 2011 AT 8:48 PM

!996 Jeep Cheroke, 4 cylinder 206,000 miles. Loud click/churp noise coming from fan. I was thinking input shaft bearing becuse when I press my clutch in sound would go away. Now, it's consistent. When car is cold no sound, when it heats up, sound evident. I opened hood and am 90% sure sound is coming from fan. I am baffled. Any thoughts?

July, 16, 2011 AT 10:36 PM

This will work to pin down locations of noises sometimes.

Many times you are "Off", in where the sound is actually coming from.

If you think it could be a fan or motorized accessory, while the noise is happening, pull it's fuse or unplug it. Just to eliminate it from the equation

To eliminate all belt driven stuff--or maybe some of the mechanical's of the engine. Take the belt off for a minute or two, see if it persists. Remember this may also drive your water pump, so do not do it for a long time!

And last, I get laughed at for this one, cause it ain't technical or nor does it require "ASE Certification". But it will probably be the one that locates it.

With a 3-4 foot long piece of 1/2--3/4 heater hose or garden hose, cram one end in your ear, use the other like a stethoscope.

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY MOVING PARTS--THEY WILL PUT A HURTIN' ON YA!

When you described the "clutch thing", that sorta tends to make one believe your crankshaft may be "thrusting" fore and aft. Aft maybe a pulley or bearing rubbing. Fore, you are pushing it forward and relieving the rub.

I hope it's something really stupid, and a EZ fix

Let me know what you figger out!

The Medic

Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota