Harmonic balancer

JOEY40949
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
Im working on 1996 ford ranger 2.3 needing to replace timing belt I have removed bolt holding crankshaft pulley but pulley wont come off there is no bolt hose to use a harmonic balancer puller how can I remove it?
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 1:34 AM

BUTCH SHULL

Here is a video that shows how to remove a harmonic balancer, different car but the procedure is the same

https://youtu.be/NZIMNkLxCMA

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 12:53 AM
FISHER BOY
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
  • 140 MILES
On a 1996 ford ranger with a2.3l engine, I need to pull the harmonic balancer. I have the bolt lose but when I go place the web foot puller inplace I notice only two machined bolt holes about an inch and half apart instead of the three at 90 degrees or two at 180 degrees. Im lost on how to pull the this the proper way. I thought about the jaws puller but didnt wont to hurt the rubber dampening ring or damage any. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
from Texas.
Monday, October 8th, 2018 AT 8:52 PM (Merged)
FISHER BOY
Ill answer my own. Ended up using a two jaw puller and grabed of the front lip on the serpintine pully although the book said not too.
-1
DRCRANKNWRENCH
If you got it off evenly that is what matters. So, I would have heal off using the puller too as I would make sure it would be the correct type. However, getting the bolt out is usually the hard part and some pullers only have one or two holes as the crank pulley does not need much to pull it off.
Also, not damaging the rubber was a good call.
I apologize you did not get a response until now.
I hope this helps and we are trying to get used to a new layout for the web site. So, I hope you will return in the future as responses are generally up within a day. However, there are are a lot of growing pains with the new site layout and we are trying our best to provide the quick responses that we always strive to provide.
+1
JAMES1971
How did u get the crank bolt out
JAMES1971
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
I cant get the crank bolt out how do u get it out
JOHNNYT73
The only thing I can tell you is get a good impact or breaker bar on it to get it loose.
CONVERSE
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
How in the world does the harmonic balancer come off. Is there a ford only puller to remove this balancer?
Once you remove the bolts, you should be able to use a universal type puller. Nothing special is needed.
-2
SMBUNCH03
  • 1995 FORD RANGER
I am trying to remove a harmonic balancer from a 95 ford ranger 2.3 ltr. The balancer doesnt have any screw holes for the puller, how can I remove this? Cant remove balancer
Monday, October 8th, 2018 AT 8:53 PM (Merged)
KEN
This link will show you the idea,,, not the same car but the operation is the same

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/front-main-engine-seal-replacement-video-1994-2000-ford-contour
-2
JAEROQUE
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
I am replacing the timing belt on a 99 ranger and I can not get the harmonic balancer off. I have a standard and it is in gear the motor is a 2.5, 4 cyl. I have tried to bind the motor but no luck. Is the bolt on the balancer right hand or left hand threaded? How might I bind the motor in order to break the bolt loose without causeing damage to the mototr? Any response will be greatly appreciated.
NOS
You will need a good break over bar 1/2 in will do and fairly long. The bolt comes out counterclockwise. Crank the motor and see which way it turns. If the pulley turns to the right, put the socket on and lay the bar on the right side of frame and hit the key and crank the engine lt it take it loose for you lay a towel over it so it don't damage the radiator or beter yet pull it out of your way it will be easier for you to get the harmonic blancer puller on if the radiator is not there. If the pully turns the other way the put the bar under the opisite frame just don't get hurt be safe this system does work.(NOS) 8)
-1
Monday, October 8th, 2018 AT 8:54 PM (Merged)
DEAN DUKE
  • 1995 FORD RANGER
What type of puller is used for removal and how is it used
BLACKOP555
It is called a harmonic dampner puller.

It is used to remove it and not bend the balancer so it can be reused.

Check with local auto part stores to purchase or rent.
-2