Starter replacement

ANONYMOUS
  • 1996 FORD F-150
How to replace a starter?
Friday, January 4th, 2013 AT 4:29 PM

Disconnect battery ground cable
Safely raise and support the vehicle
Remove attaching bolts and starter motor shield
Caution: when disconnecting hard shell connector at starter motor solenoid s terminal, grasp the plastic shell and pull off. Do not pull on the wire. Be careful to pull straight off to prevent damage to connector and s terminal. If any part of connection is damaged, replace the damaged components.
Disconnect battery cable and push-on connector from starter solenoid.
Remove attaching bolts and starter motor.

Do you want the install procedure?

Anytime battery is disconnected, there could be some relearn issues? If you drive the vehicle 10 miles or so, that should allow the pcm to relearn adaptive strategy.

See the guide/video below for starter replacement, not your exact vehicle, but the process will be similar.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

https://youtu.be/5Jd2-wfIKOw
Friday, January 4th, 2013 AT 5:42 PM
RHORNE18
  • 1997 FORD F-150
On my truck I was able to get all the bolts off my starter besides the one on the top. It seems impossible to reach and there must be a tool for getting to that bolt, but I am not sure what it is. If you have any tips or pointers that would be great.

Thanks a lot!

Ryan
Thursday, September 13th, 2018 AT 6:09 PM (Merged)
How many bolts have you removed? Have you tried to access it through the inner fender? There are only two bolts that hold it on.

Are you sure the starter is bad? Here is a way to test it:

The battery must be in good condition and fully charged prior to performing this test.

1.Disable the ignition system. Verify that the vehicle will not start.
2.Connect a voltmeter between the positive terminal of the battery and the starter B+ circuit.
3.Turn the ignition key to the START position and note the voltage on the meter.
4.If voltage reads 0.5 volts or more, there is high resistance in the starter cables or the cable ground, repair as necessary. If the voltage reading is ok proceed to the next step.
5.Connect a voltmeter between the positive terminal of the battery and the starter M circuit.
6.Turn the ignition key to the START position and note the voltage on the meter.
7.If voltage reads 0.5 volts or more, there is high resistance in the starter. Repair or replace the starter as necessary.

Also, here is a picture of the two bolts that hold the starter in place. Also, have you removed the starter terminal cover?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_start_1.jpg

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.