MY CAR WILL NOT GO PAST FIRST GEAR IT WILL GO IN...

1996 Dodge Intrepid

akeshad

December, 2, 2012 AT 2:36 PM

My car will not go past first gear it will go in reverse it will go into drive but when I start to drive it will shift in first gear but after that it will not shift to second. Check fluid transmission fluid was bone dry put some in and still doing the same thing please help.

December, 2, 2012 AT 3:19 PM

The internal are damaged and needs to be removed and inspected.

akeshad

December, 3, 2012 AT 5:11 PM

Im not sure what you mean by that can you be more specific. Thanks

repairismyhobby

Akeshad
I had the same problem with my 1994 intrepid it took a lot of time and research to find the problem. There are several parts that may cause this problem. After replacing the speed sensor in the transaxle I replaced the ignition switch that solved the problem, so I would recommend first changing the ignition switch. It is located on the left side of the steering column opposite the key cylinder. My 94 required a set of torx wrenches and sockets to remove the cover and the switch. Be sure to get a manual to read and implement the proper procedure to disable the airbag. It is easy and not doing so could cause severe injury.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions