MY HORN STARTED CONTINUOUSLY BLOWING SO I HAD TO...
1996 Buick Regal
February, 25, 2013 AT 4:10 PM
My horn started continuously blowing so I had to disconnect it. The horn fuse was blown. My battery keeps dying (cells dying), I replaced it 4 times. First battery lasted 3 weeks, second battery lasted 10 days, third battery lasted 3 days, and now the forth battery died instantly. What can be causing this?
That's because disconnecting the horn stops the noise but not the power draw. You have to remove the horn fuse or relay unless something else is draining your battery.
In that case, here's what you would have to do.
You will need a digital ammeter and a jumper wire with clips on the ends to do this.
First rig any door switches so you can have a door open without triggering the interior lights and unplug the hood light. Remove one battery cable and attach the meter in series between the battery cable and battery post. Take the jumper wire and also attach it the same way. Leave the jumper wire on for at least 10 minutes to expire all the automatic timers. Now remove the jumper wire and read the meter. Anything over 50ma is too much draw. The way you locate this is to start removing fuses one at a time until the meter drops to normal level. This will be the circuit with something staying on. Determine what components are part of that circuit and check them individually until the problem is isolated.