1996 Acura Integra, do you need to pull the engine to replace the steering column, rack and pinion?
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 5:29 PM
No, it's a 3.5hr job
NOTE: Disable airbag system as outlined under Technician Safety Information. Obtain five digit radio theft protection code as described under Vehicle Damage Warnings.
1. Remove steering joint cover, then disconnect steering shaft from gearbox.
2. Disconnect steering gear reservoir return hose and place end in suitable container.
3. Start engine and allow to idle, turn steering wheel from lock to lock several times, when fluid stops running out of hose, stop engine.
4. Remove gearbox shield.
5. Raise and support front of vehicle.
6. Using suitable tool, disconnect tie rods from steering knuckles.
7. On models equipped with manual transaxle, remove shift extension from transmission, slide boot at connecting position of gear shift rod, then drive out spring pin with suitable punch.
8. On models equipped with automatic transaxle, remove shift cable holder and cable from transaxle.
9. Remove exhaust pipe attaching nuts, then separate from header pipe.
10. Remove header pipe.
11. Disconnect four lines from control unit.
12. Remove center beam.
13. Remove steering gear attaching bolts, then slide tie rod to righthand side.
14. Slide steering gear to RH side, ensuring LH tie rod clears rear beam, then remove.
15. Reverse procedure to install.