WHY WON'T AFTER MARKET KET CYLINDER WORK IN MY CAR?

1995 Toyota Camry

lizzy1610

May, 24, 2012 AT 11:10 PM

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry I replaces the key cylinder two times in the past month after the original went bad. It works for about 2 weeks and then it just stop turning same thing happened twice. My mechanic Is saying I may have to get the original from Toyota which they are telling me may coat $170 +220 to install it, Is this true that it is because its after market why it will not work?

May, 24, 2012 AT 11:17 PM

Take his advice and get the OEM part for it-

caradiodoc

May, 24, 2012 AT 11:20 PM

Your key might be worn out. Many lock cylinders actually are made by the same manufacturer, then sold by different aftermarket companies. Unless something is coming apart in the new ones, they should keep on working unless the key is so worn that it is just barely moving the tumblers into position. It depends too by what you mean by "not working". Do you mean the key won't physically turn? Do you mean the lock cylinder turns but won't disarm an anti-theft system? If so, that's a wiring or computer problem.

The price you mentioned for new cylinders from Toyota isn't that bad, especially if the dealer can take them apart and install tumblers to let you continue using your current keys. Chrysler dealers do that all the time for their customers and Toyota is just as customer-friendly as Chrysler.

Be happy you don't have a Lexus. Two new keys cost $1500.00 and must come from Japan with a new Body Computer!

lizzy1610

May, 25, 2012 AT 12:15 AM

In both cases it worked fine for two weeks and then first the key would not go in and then it went in but will not turn at all as if I was trying to use the wrong key or the steering wheel was locked. Someone said I might need to replace the whole thing and not just the cylinder. But you can actually use a screwdriver to start the car fine via the ignition switch

May, 25, 2012 AT 12:44 PM

The lock housing is bad and replacing the key cylinders is not going to work. You can try the junk yard, the lock should be at a fraction of what you need to pay for a new one.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement