WHY WON'T MY TRUCK CRANK?

1995 Nissan Hardbody

joeymitchell

August, 20, 2012 AT 6:21 PM

I have a 95 Nissan pickup. 2.4l 4cyl. One day I was driving it after raising some hell on the pavement and it began loosing power. Within 1/2 a mile it died. It started once more with barely enough power to pull me in the gas station. The motor will turn over but just barely as if the battery were dead, however ive tried numerous times to jump it off. I thought it may have jumped time so I replaced the timing chain but still no change. When trying to crank and motor is just barely turning over I hear an occasional hiss like the sound of compressed air being released. I don't know where to go from here.

August, 20, 2012 AT 6:46 PM

Check the engine compression.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Go to above link to understand how to go about from here.

August, 20, 2012 AT 6:47 PM

Was the timing out when you replaced the chain? It is an interference motor. Check the compression first.

August, 20, 2012 AT 6:59 PM

Cranks over a few secs with no start

-Been here yesterday with same symptoms, ends up with a starter problem-drop the starter motor and have it load tested-start here and then let me know-

August, 20, 2012 AT 7:28 PM

Yo Jess, why is your expert status not showing? Been promoted?

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide