Engine wont start and run?

TERRYMFROMGV
  • 1995 HONDA CIVIC
The vehicle runs fine when it starts, according to whether or not the fuel pump activates. More prone to starting problems in the winter months(moisture?). FUEL PUMP ACTIVATES INTERMITTENTLY. Vehicle has new fuel pump, new PGM-FI relay, new ignition electrical switch assembly, new ECM(not aftermarket), fuse # 18 under dash OK, ECU fuse under hood OK, fuel pump ignites when I jump terminals #5 & #7 at the PGM-FI relay connector w/ ignition key in start position. Have performed fuel pump and PGKM-FI tests from Honda Civic Service Manual, 1995 1st edition, section 1, pages 11-127 thru 11-130. All tests are positive going thru the trouble shooting flow chart. Sometimes the vehicle will start w/ no problem what-so-ever.
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 3:00 PM

WRENCHER1
Those tests only matter if they are performed while the problem is present. They had a real lot of problems with that PGM-FI relay during those years. This sounds like a fuel pump or the distributor has gone out. When you turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine over can you hear the fuel pump run in the tank for 5 seconds?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run down this guide and report back.
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 3:46 PM
TERRYMFROMGV
Are you suggesting that I try another known working PGM-FI relay?
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 3:54 PM
WRENCHER1
You could but the point I was making is that you have to test while the problem is present.
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 3:57 PM
TERRYMFROMGV
I apologize. I check out the guide and found the distributor was bad I got a rebuilt unit and the car has never run better thank you!
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 4:05 PM
WRENCHER1
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 4:08 PM
RSAIN
  • 1995 HONDA CIVIC
1995 Honda Civic. 200,000m. Driving up a hill and major power loss. Ran on 3 cylinders for 20 miles home. Changed plugs and wires (needed it anyway). Started car. Did not solve problem. Turned car off and checked for spark at every point. All clear. Tried to start again and now it wont start. What should I test next? Fuel delivery? Any ideas to the cause?
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 11:49 AM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Check the compressions, let me know what they are, start here.

RSAIN
Will do. Will only get to this on Friday but I'll report back. The part that is disconcerting is that it would run on 3 - then suddenly quit (3 min of run time after the new plug wires). Exhaust does not smell heavily of fuel either.

Thanks for your assistance.

- ryan
MHPAUTOS
OK, will keep an eye out for your post.

RSAIN
Sorry for the delay. Working too much lately to get to this. But the bus is getting old!

Finally checked compression: 125 +/- 5% on all cylinders. Did the fuel filter (was time anyway). No luck. Plenty of fuel in and out of the filter. Not sure what to check next. I have spark. I have fuel (to the rails, and there is fuel on the plugs after trying to start. I have compression.

Timing belt might have slipped and ready to die on me? This is an interference motor (I think) - but no weird noises at this point (pistons slapping valves).

Any ideas are appreciated.

- ryan
RSAIN
I went back out there this morning. Something seemed odd so I checked compression again. Just to be sure. Second from the passenger side (is that number 3) is reading zero today. The rest are all holding around 125. I clearly ******ed something up last night when checking (i.E, missed that cylinder). That is the same cylinder that dropped when I was on the road.

- ryan
MHPAUTOS
Do a wet test, add about 1 tea spoon of oil into the cyl and re test, if the comps go up it will be rings, if not valve or head gasket, let me know what you find.

RSAIN
Checked compression again. This time wet in the bad cylinder. Still zero. And do I mean zero - the needle doesn't even bump when it's cranked on.

- ryan
MHPAUTOS
Burnt or stuck valve I would say, I feel that it is time to pull the head.

RSAIN
Oh joy. More like it's time for a new car or maybe just a b16a swap. :-) In the mean time I'll pop open the head and take a look. Will report back - but wont be until the end of the week. Thank you for all your help to this point!

- ryan
MHPAUTOS
OK, good luck, hope it's not all bad news.

HOWLER33
  • 1995 HONDA CIVIC
I just bought a civic with a bad head gasket. While trying to flush the cooling system and drain it in preparation for the repairs it quit running. I replaced the head gasket and put everything back together and the damn thing won't start up for anything. I have checked everything I can think of. The camshaft position sensor the crankshaft position sensor, the throttle position sensor, the distributor, the resistance on every injector and the spark plug wires. I replaced the spark plugs, switched out the ecm, the intake manifold. I'm at a loss here.
KHLOW2008
Hi howler33,

You mentioned checking almost everything so I take it that fuel and sparks are available.

Did you test the compression?

Normally after removal and installation of the head, the pistons might have dried out leaving no oil to provide compression.

Do a dry and wet compression test and try again.

Btw did you check the block face for runout?
HOWLER33
I tested the compression and I am unsure as to how much it should be. The timing is dead on. I have tried starting it for prolonged periods, so I assume the oil circulated properly.
KHLOW2008
Hi howler33,

The minimum compression required should be 135 psi at full throttle.

Yuo checked all the parts, did you test for fuel pressure and sparking during cranking?

Sponsored links