I HAVE AN AUTOMATIC GMC YEAR 95 WITH AN 8 ...

1995 GMC Sierra

blowther

November, 14, 2012 AT 4:55 AM

I have an automatic GMC year 95 with an 8 cylinder engine. I thought my tranny was out because it would not shift into or past 3. So we got a new tranny, but now the p[roblem seems worse. It starts in 2 and will not shift out of 2. We've checked the fluids, do you think it could be an electrical problem

Trans Not Shifting

Not Shifting

1 IMAGE

DrCranknWrench

November, 14, 2012 AT 4:59 AM

It is either electrical or the shift linkage is bent and not putting the transmission exactly in drive. This will cause a lot of problems. Have the trouble codes pulled to check for electrical issues, any Advance Auto ro Auto Zone will do this for free.
Also, take it to a tranmission repair shop if you decide totake it somewhere as regualr shops don't have the expertise nor speciall toool s to work on automatic tranmisssions. That is why you see speciallty shops. They are difficult to diagnose and work on.