1995 FORD RANGER THERMOSTAT

• wlewalt
  • 1995 Ford Ranger

I have a 95 Ranger, 2.3 L and I'm having trouble getting the thermostat installed. A little history, my son was driving it when he saw smoke coming from under the hood, turns out it was just steam. It appeared to me that the water pump failed, so I replaced it. Put coolant in it and it still leaked. I should have checked the thermostat while I was replacing the water pump. Ok, so I take the thermostat housing off and the old thermostat falls out in pieces. I notice some corrosion holes in the thermostat housing unit, so I replace it and the thermostat. After installing, it still leaks. I took some pictures of what I'm looking at, and if you could take a look at them to kind of point me in the right direction. I've had this thing on and off so many times that I'm getting frustrated, not to mention, multiple trips back and forth to the parts store for more gaskets. Any help would be appreciated.

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 7:55 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

Hi:
The pictures didn't come through. However, are you making sure the thermostat is seating before putting it together. There should be a slight recess that the t-stat sits into. Check that.

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 11:39 AM
  • wlewalt

Here are the pictures

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 11:46 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

From the pictures, everything looks fine. Are you certain that the t-stat is seating in the recess of the housing? If that slips out, you will get a leak. Other than that, check to make sure everything is flat and true.

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 11:52 AM
  • wlewalt

The first picture shows the thermostat placed on top of the housing gasket, and the second picture shows the thermostat placed under the housing gasket. Which is the correct one? The third picture shows the housing, but I don't see any places for the tabs of the thermostat to fit in to.

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 11:56 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Check the housing and the engine block to see where the recess is located for the t-stat to fit into it. Install the t-stat into that recess, then the gasket goes on the opposite side.

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 12:00 PM
  • wlewalt

Ok, I'll do that. Now, the question about the gasket in the picture, which picture is correct, the first or the second one?

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 12:02 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Also, it is hard to see the last two pics. They are dark. It appears that there is old gasket material still on the housing. Make sure that is clean and dry when installing. (Both the housing and the engine block should be clean and dry)

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 12:02 PM
  • wlewalt

It is a brand new housing as well, so it is already clean. The area around the engine block is clean too, what a challenge that was!

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 12:05 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

I know that cleaning old gasket material is a pain! Have you been able to locate the recess I mentioned?

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 9:03 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

FOUND YOU A DIAGRAM IN "MITCHELL 1"

IS IT POSSIBLE THE HOUSING IS FLIMSY AND OVER-TIGHTENING IT MIGHT MAKE IT BOW OUT IN THE MIDDLE?

+1
Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 9:28 PM