I just replaced the starter with a starter from.

ANONYMOUS
  • 1995 FORD E-SERIES VAN

I just replaced the starter with a starter from the local parts store but the new starter won't engage the fly wheel. I had the new starter checked and it is working properly. When I hooked ti up to the power on my van and grounded it to see of the gear moved when I turned on the key switch, it did. However whin I bolt it up to the engine it makes a noise like it is working but it does not engage the flywheel. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 AT 2:15 AM

Check the ground between the battery and the engine block. Are you sure the wiring is correct to the solenoid?

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 AT 3:13 AM
JILLADAMSDASTRUP

As I said before when I wired it up I grounded it to test the bending gear before I bolted it up to the engine and it worked correctly. I also checked the flywheel to see if there was any damage and there wasn't. I turned the flywheel by hand to see if another area might engage. However none of these things has helped to get the starter to engage the flywheel.
When I measured the gear it appears to be about a 16th to a 32nd different placement than the original but I'm not a pro and don't know for sure.

Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 AT 4:47 PM

The clearance between the flexplate and drive pinion is too excessive-try shimming it closer using shims-trail and error till the starter engages the flexplate w/o grinding noises-

Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 AT 9:36 PM