Dead Ford Van Question (wont turn over but electric is good?)

BENZLE
  • 2001 FORD E-SERIES VAN
We have a low mileage 2000 Ford Econoline van which has been running well but now will not turn over. It was just running, turned it off, now it wont turn back on. We had to towed to a mechanic and they said it stated right up and could find nothing wrong, drove it home and same thing. All the electric is fine. Nothing happens when we turn the key, lights don't dim, nothing, but again, all the electric works great. A looses fuse or loose cable is what I would expect but where do we start with something like this? Thanks so much for any ideas.
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 3:31 PM

Check battery for condition including a load test. Autoparts do for free. Check the item s in pic they are fusible links and can sometimes be only hanging on by a couple of strands. They should have same voltage on both sides you might try twirling them around then rechecking. Finally have an assistant try to start the van an dgo out and hit body of starter, if it starts your starter is bad.
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 3:44 PM
BENZLE
Another guy is telling me these ignition switches are notoriously bad. It wont turn on socant get it to a mechanic to test it. If it was a battery issue why would it not start, then start up fine later after sitting a while?
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 4:20 PM
Because the battery may not hold the voltage and or not have the power to turn the starter over that is why you do a load test on the battery.
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 5:37 PM
BENZLE
So the battery may not hold a charge, but then after a few hours of sitting, it then could be ok?
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 6:10 PM
It's not necessarily holding charge but not having the power to turn the engine over that is why you do a load test. Also the diagram I sent to you was pointing to the fusible links which can burn or hang on by just a couple of strands and not put the power through that is required for starting. Also I also asked you to have an assistant help and when the vehicle does this to hit body of the starter while the assistant tries to start and if the engine turns over the starter is bad because the armature has flat spots on it and will do one of two things besides not starting -draw to many amps and not turn over or by jarring it will knock the armature so it can turn over. I'll you in for a refund.
Wednesday, June 25th, 2014 AT 6:10 AM