V8, IT RAN GOOD UNTIL TODAY

1995 Dodge Dakota

Tianwulf

April, 17, 2012 AT 3:43 AM

. I drove to work and as I made a stop the engine shut off, I was able to start it up just fine. It runs on low idle now and stalls just about everytime I do not give any throttle. I removed the battery
-Engine does not crank or run
-Just reinstalled battery
-Panel light, CD light and outside lights go on and off after opening door without key even in the ignition

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

April, 17, 2012 AT 3:47 AM

Check all wires at the battery. Make sure the grounds are all good, not rusted or corroded.

Based on your description, it sounds like there may be a problem with ignition switch.

Tianwulf

April, 17, 2012 AT 4:31 AM

Thanks for the responce, it was actuallly an old after market alarm which I removed now turns on. However I still have the low idle problem

caradiodoc

April, 17, 2012 AT 4:52 AM

Hi guys. Just go out and drive it. When you disconnected the battery, the Engine Computer lost its mind. It has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it has to be in control of idle speed. It also won't give you the nice idle flare-up to 1500 rpm when you start the engine.

To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the pedals.