HARMONIC BALANCER

1995 Chevrolet Caprice

plymouth19952009

August, 17, 2011 AT 1:48 AM

I am replacing a distributor on a 1995 Chevy Caprice with a 5.7. I am having trouble pulling the balancer off. The puller is on and we have it cranked very tight but the balancer will not budge. The head of the bolts are trying to pull thru the puller it is so tight. Why is this not coming off? I am afraid of breaking something like my head if it flies off. What is a good way also to stop the balancer from moving as we are having trouble with that also. Also if I do get this off, what is the best way to re-install the balancer. Thanks.

August, 17, 2011 AT 2:29 AM

Remove the puller and install washers on the bolts. That will help with the bolts pulling.
I use a screw driver between the bolts to keep it from turning.
Heat up the balancer before installing. It will stay hot enough to start on till you can get the bolt started and pull it on. Try not to hit the balancer as it may damage the thrust bearing on the crank.

plymouth19952009

August, 17, 2011 AT 5:02 AM

Yes I did install a washer and they are bending, I will try to add more heavy duty washers. Are they really this hard to pull off? I am just a little leery of busting something.

August, 17, 2011 AT 2:44 PM

Yes, they are that hard to get off.

plymouth19952009

August, 17, 2011 AT 9:04 PM

Okay, we installed large washers and that is not a problem. The first puller threads stripped and the puller failed. The second puller shaft started bending and failed and still this balancer will not move. What do I do now. This balancer should not be this hard to come off. Why would I be destroying pullers? I read that maybe the balancer was probably put on wrong at some point if it was ever pulled off. I have pulled these off before and never seen this before. Do they make bigger pullies, but it seems if I used something bigger the heads of the bolts would pull off. I am using grade 8 bolts. Thanks.

PROTECH1980

August, 17, 2011 AT 9:25 PM

Remove like this/ dont pull whole pulley.

PROTECH1980

August, 17, 2011 AT 9:33 PM

Remove the 3 bolts, use jaw puller. As you can see by pic, your not actually removing the hub from the crankshaft, just the pulley part, and do not heat this, use the jaw puller and the pulley will come off, giving you plenty of accsess to remove dist

plymouth19952009

August, 18, 2011 AT 10:53 PM

Okay, I have the distributor back together balancer on properly and was just wondering we tried to start the car and will not start. Of course all is off like the water pump, air pump and belts all off. Should it start at this point or not? If so, what could be wrong? Just don't want to put everything back together if we have to tear it down again. Thans for the help.

PROTECH1980

August, 19, 2011 AT 2:31 AM

Should start, make sure distributor was installed correctly and connection plugged in, what are you missing, ie. spark, is it not sparking off coil? Do some checking and get back with me, check this link to assist you: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

plymouth19952009

August, 20, 2011 AT 2:32 PM

Okay, we have no spark. When re-installing the cap and rotor, what could have we done wrong as it seems pretty strait forward. Could the coil suddenly fail? Is there a way to check the coil? Thanks.

PROTECH1980

August, 20, 2011 AT 5:50 PM

Ok, thought you replaced distributor, or did you just do cap and rotor. Check to make sure coil has voltage on one wire, the other wire will pulse ground when cranking, check this and let me know. Did this vehicle run before you tore it down?

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue