1995 Buick Park Avenue Cruise control will not engage for m

DAVID KERN
  • 1995 BUICK PARK AVENUE
Good afternoon,

My cruise control green light will illuminate for about 1 second and then go off. I have replaced the multifunction switch, the two brake switches appear to open and close, however, I haven’t checked continuity with a meter thus far. The vacuum is strong and the servo diaphragm seems to flex well.

Interestingly, once I have pressed the set switch, I have to turn the car off and restart it in order to get the cruise to come on for another second.

Any ideas,

David Kern
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 10:02 PM

ZACKMAN
Did you happen to check the relay for the cruise control? And also the brake switch?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_95parkavecruise_1.jpg

-1
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 12:10 AM
DAVID KERN
Who was that masked man? You nailed it- the brake switch was the problem. I shorted terminal C and D to bypass the switch, definitively diagnosing the faulty part.

It was surprising to learn that that the cruise light would briefly illuminate even though the break switch was inoperative.

It appears the old switch will only come out in pieces, hopefully the new switch includes the snap in plastic that attaches the unit to the metal bracket.

Thanks for your help,

David Kern
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 8:36 PM
ZACKMAN
You are most welcome. Just let us know if we can be of any help in the future.
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 11:07 AM
SMACON
I have just replaced the cruise control servo and the brake switch on my 1995 Buick Park Avenue. I, however, am still having problems with it kicking out and not resuming. If I help it with the gas pedal, sometimes it will pick it back up for a few seconds before it kicks out again. The cruise light stays on the whole time. After replacing the above parts, what am I still missing? Thanks! Brent
Sunday, September 18th, 2011 AT 2:34 AM
KHLOW2008
Get scan done to see if there are any trouble codes. Cruise control system is controlled by the PCM.
+1
Sunday, September 18th, 2011 AT 6:28 AM