WHY WONT MY HEATER IN MY BLOW HOT AIR

1994 Volvo 850

jonsmith8608

February, 16, 2012 AT 6:19 PM

Ac wont work and heater dont blow hot air?

billymac

February, 16, 2012 AT 6:26 PM

Hi
either a blend door is not working or a heater control valve under the hood located in heater hose is not opening. Move heat selector to hot and at the same time look under the dash and see if you can see a blend door open and close. You may see the lever move and door not open. If so lever has disconnected from door.

jonsmith8608

February, 16, 2012 AT 6:30 PM

Where is the hose located under the hood could it also be because there is water and not antifreeze in system

billymac

February, 16, 2012 AT 6:55 PM

Well should have 50/50 mix of coolant. However as long as it is getting up to atleast 180 degrees should still heat. If you follow your heater hoses from your engine to your firewall there should be a heater valve mounted in one of the hoses. But most important make sure both hoses going into car are hot. If yes then the problem is past that inside the car which will be a heat door not opening

jonsmith8608

February, 16, 2012 AT 7:01 PM

AND when I start car and turn key it like doesnt catch to turn engine over

billymac

February, 16, 2012 AT 7:06 PM

When it does this is there any noise, like grinding clunking or just nothing.? Also when you get it to start what do you have to do to make it crank?

jonsmith8608

February, 16, 2012 AT 7:21 PM

It like kinda a whining noice like something spinning but nothing catching and to make it turn over I just take key out and turn it really slow

billymac

February, 16, 2012 AT 7:27 PM

Ok this sounds like a bad starter solinoid or starter drive. What is going on is the ignition is spinning the starter but not kicking the starter drive forward to engage with the flywheel.

jonsmith8608

February, 16, 2012 AT 7:31 PM

How would I b able to troubleshoot it to see which one it is

billymac

February, 16, 2012 AT 7:34 PM

Normally you would replace the starter, but if you want to repair that one replace the starter drive and the solinoid starter must be removed and dissassembled for this

jonsmith8608

February, 16, 2012 AT 7:36 PM

So the silinoid and drive are in the starter?

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement