What is causing my car's backup lights not to turn on when putting the car in reverse?

ALLEN1350
  • 1994 TOYOTA CAMRY
Hello. I have a 1994 Toyota Camry 2-door with 4-cylinder engine and automatic transmission. I am experiencing some sort of electrical problem, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know what it is I need to get fixed. What happens is when you put the car in reverse, the two white backup lights do not always come on. Also, when the backup lights do not come on, the orange "R" (showing what gear you are in) on the dashboard does not come on. It seems, however, that when you jiggle the gear shift handle, it sort of "helps" the lights come on. Also, when you put the car in other gears, the lights on the dashboard do not always come on (and the lights are NOT burned out); again, however, jiggling the handle makes them come on and they sort of "flicker" sometimes when they first come on. If I could get an answer to what this problem is or if I need to clarify any further details, please let me know. Thanks.
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 12:15 AM

BILLYMAC
Hi you need to adjust your shifter there is an adjustment under the console and also one at the trans. Adjust until the light comes on in reverse car off key on
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 12:25 AM
ALLEN1350
Thanks for your input. I will see about getting this done. If this works, I will let you know in a heartbeat. Have a nice day, and thank you for answering my question. :)
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 12:35 AM
KHLOW2008
If adjustment does not help, you would have to replace the Park Neutral Position switch.
Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 3:33 AM