WHAT CAUSES MY CAR TO VIBRATE?

1994 Toyota Camry

ekeminiekpoudo

August, 8, 2012 AT 10:11 PM

1994 toyota camry vibrates on low to medium acceleration, what could be the cause and how can it be remedied?

August, 9, 2012 AT 12:14 AM

Most common is failed ineer cv joints. Have them checked to verify.

Axles are about 80 new and 1.5 hours per side to replace

ekeminiekpoudo

August, 9, 2012 AT 10:36 PM

The sound of the car is generally heavy and is mixed with a leaking exaust sound. But I have taken it for checks and its confirmed the exaust is not leaking. I observed the engine mount on top at the passenger side is cracked, could it be the cause?

August, 9, 2012 AT 11:57 PM

Cracked no, broken, yes. Did you have the inner cv joints checked as I suggested?

August, 10, 2012 AT 7:34 AM

Symptom indicates possible EGR fault. Is the vibration vehicle speed or engine rpm related?

ekeminiekpoudo

August, 11, 2012 AT 8:02 PM

Both engine speed and rpm, but is worse when the car is in motion. I have replaced the broken engine mount, but vibration is still there.

August, 11, 2012 AT 8:45 PM

Check the EGR system.

ekeminiekpoudo

September, 1, 2012 AT 4:38 PM

I have checked all sugestions and vibration remains. I have been told it could be a balance shaft issue, could this be true? That would require a big job if right.

September, 1, 2012 AT 4:57 PM

This engine does not use any balance shaft.

The upper engine mount is just a torque rod for preventing the engine from twisting too much when torsional force is applied.

The engine mounts below and the transmission mounts are the ones to cause vibrations.

Any vibrations due to bad engine mounts ( unless they are completely destroyed) would not be felt during driving.

If the vibrations are more pronounced during slight acceleration, Roy had it correct. The CV inner joints are bad.

Check the inner CV joints for excessive side play and broken boots. Tell tale signs would be grease splashed all over surrounding areas.

If the vibrations also occurs while coasting in neutral at the speed that vibrations occurs, you need to have the wheels checked. They requires balancing.

ekeminiekpoudo

September, 1, 2012 AT 5:09 PM

The vibration is engine rpm dependent. Even when the transmission is not engaged, you can feel the vibration as soon as rpm gets to between 1500 - 2500. When it gets up to 3000 vibration stops.

September, 1, 2012 AT 5:37 PM

That is more likely to be engine performance related and most common cause is the EGR system.

Is the MIL indicating and have you checked for trouble codes?

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Wiper Blade Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Wiper Blade Replacement GMC Yukon
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tundra
Wiper Blade Replacement Porsche Carrera