WHAT CAUSES MY CAR TO VIBRATE?

• ekeminiekpoudo
  • 1994 Toyota Camry

1994 toyota camry vibrates on low to medium acceleration, what could be the cause and how can it be remedied?

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 AT 10:11 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Most common is failed ineer cv joints. Have them checked to verify.

Axles are about 80 new and 1.5 hours per side to replace

Thursday, August 9th, 2012 AT 12:14 AM
  • ekeminiekpoudo

The sound of the car is generally heavy and is mixed with a leaking exaust sound. But I have taken it for checks and its confirmed the exaust is not leaking. I observed the engine mount on top at the passenger side is cracked, could it be the cause?

Thursday, August 9th, 2012 AT 10:36 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Cracked no, broken, yes. Did you have the inner cv joints checked as I suggested?

Thursday, August 9th, 2012 AT 11:57 PM
  • KHLow2008

Symptom indicates possible EGR fault. Is the vibration vehicle speed or engine rpm related?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:34 AM
  • ekeminiekpoudo

Both engine speed and rpm, but is worse when the car is in motion. I have replaced the broken engine mount, but vibration is still there.

Saturday, August 11th, 2012 AT 8:02 PM
  • KHLow2008

Check the EGR system.

Saturday, August 11th, 2012 AT 8:45 PM
  • ekeminiekpoudo

I have checked all sugestions and vibration remains. I have been told it could be a balance shaft issue, could this be true? That would require a big job if right.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 4:38 PM
  • KHLow2008

This engine does not use any balance shaft.

The upper engine mount is just a torque rod for preventing the engine from twisting too much when torsional force is applied.

The engine mounts below and the transmission mounts are the ones to cause vibrations.

Any vibrations due to bad engine mounts ( unless they are completely destroyed) would not be felt during driving.

If the vibrations are more pronounced during slight acceleration, Roy had it correct. The CV inner joints are bad.

Check the inner CV joints for excessive side play and broken boots. Tell tale signs would be grease splashed all over surrounding areas.

If the vibrations also occurs while coasting in neutral at the speed that vibrations occurs, you need to have the wheels checked. They requires balancing.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 4:57 PM
  • ekeminiekpoudo

The vibration is engine rpm dependent. Even when the transmission is not engaged, you can feel the vibration as soon as rpm gets to between 1500 - 2500. When it gets up to 3000 vibration stops.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 5:09 PM
  • KHLow2008

That is more likely to be engine performance related and most common cause is the EGR system.

Is the MIL indicating and have you checked for trouble codes?

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 5:37 PM