Blue smoke

94TCAMRY
  • 1994 TOYOTA CAMRY

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry SE V6 that emits lots of blue smoke that smells like burned oil when the engine is cold. It has a slow acceleration and uses more oil than usual. It all started after the transmission was replaced not so long ago. I took it to a mechanic and this is what he did to it. He replaced the transmission, spark plugs and a tune-up. When I got my car back, I noticed the blue smoke when I turned the car on. The mechanic said that it was due to an oil change, so it would be normal to expect some smoke and burned oil smell. A couple of days later, I complained to him about the smoke and he said to change 3 spark plugs to those that could withstand higher temperatures. So, after looking up online of the possible cause of my problems, I changed the front valve cover gasket, but the smoke has remained the same. I also noticed that a small amount of the blue smoke comes from underneath the exhaust manifold.

Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 2:39 AM

MMPRINCE4000

Blue smoke is oil burning in combustion chambers, usually caused by bad valve stem seals, or rings.

If not coming from exhaust, then valve cover gasket, dist. O ring, front cam seal.

So you have an oil leak, have mechanic clean engine with brake cleaner and add UV dye to oil to isolate leak.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 3:30 PM
94TCAMRY

Actually, the smoke is coming mainly from the exhaust. When cold, it looks like a horror film scene. I'm afraid I cannot repair the car, or that it isn't worth fixing. Thank you for answering the question.

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 7:39 PM