Trans not shifting

HAWKNAPP
  • 1994 SATURN SW2

Transmission stuck in 3rd gear. No shifting, hard gear engadgement, no lockup of torqe convertor, no error codes from computor trans shop said internal wiring harness needs repair replace, I cant find internal harness listed anywere as part. Solinoids in valve body check out(ohms). Not a bad solinoid bus plate! Estimate says shifter indexing correct. Could this be a shift indicator switch problem (have not checked switch yet, hard to get to) seems to me like a ground problem all fuses good, trans relay good. May be ground strap to trans? Car starts in third with no shifting no tc lockup no overdrive and harsh reverse engadgement trans does not downshift when lower gears are selected wile driving. Trans shop said it is a minor problem (but wont be specific) if I can repair it myself it would save a bit of money.

Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 11:17 PM

SATURNTECH9

Those transmissions are great there main weakness is pressure issues inside the transmission. Too high of pressure and too low of pressure. What happens is the pressure regulator bore gets worn and or the buffer spring breaks. Causing the regulator to stick or deliver the incorrect pressure that is the number one failure on that transmission.

Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 11:25 PM
HAWKNAPP

First of all thank you for your time on this as I am very "skimp" at the moment. As for my car it may very well be in second gear but engine rpm is not excessive although take off is very slow.I do not seem to have a "check engine light" on, perhaps I should connect a code reader to the port for the hell of it? This is a listing of diagnosis given on estimate

atf1= atf clean
sh1a= shifter (prndl) indexing correct
dtc2= dtc, s no communication
dr= harsh reverse engagement
r3= third gear starts
q4= no 3-4 upshift
q7= no lockup
low coolant light is on but system is not low

did not pay for the check (free) but possibly that, s why I got so little info (i may just not understand what im looking at)
any help you can give me would be a godsend. Im still thinking it's a ground problem as it "appears" that none of the solinoid's
in the valve body are actuating? Have checked ground side of relays to fuse block for continuity (all good)but have not checked source side to pcm (were is pcm?) Could a single broken wire on one solinoid cause such a condition (no lockup, no shifting, high line pres ect)? The only inside wire I can think of other than the valve body solinoids would be the clutch for tq converter lockup, that's only part of the problem and that should throw me some codes! Faulty gear shift selector switch should also throw me some codes, am I correct? Also faulty turbine(engine)speed sensor should give me codes? Possibly fried bulb in check engine light(better borrow me a code reader) this seems unlikely to me. Faulty ground strap to tranny? Test light says "no" but that, s not the same as a big thick strap! Don't be afraid to get to teki on me as I have worked in electronics field for a time(repaired smt machines) but autos are not my forte(i hate to work on car's rrrrrr)again any insight into this is welcomed (even more by po boy like me) thanks

hawknapp

-1
Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 3:27 AM
SATURNTECH9

So you have a delay bang into reverse?

+2
Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 3:41 AM
HAWKNAPP

No delay it just goes into gear very hard r and d, also in the past sometimes there would be a delay in reverse engagement tranny fluid was up, a minor thing so I didnt think much of it.
Could this be associated with my current prob?

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 3:47 AM
HAWKNAPP

And this would cause all the problems I listed?

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 4:21 AM
SATURNTECH9

The incorrect pressure can cause it to bang into reverse and drive also cause the transmission to slip and cause the transmission to go into limp mode and start out in 2nd gear. Heres what I would do first check for codes see which ones I have then most likely do a pressure test. Get me the know numbers and we will go from there. Do you know how to use a jumper wire to read the engine and transmission codes?

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 4:11 PM
HAWKNAPP

Yes I do (now). Will check and get back to you thanks!

+1
Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 5:13 PM
SATURNTECH9

Remember the transmission codes flash thru the low coolant light.

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 5:56 PM
HAWKNAPP

Light on dash (second from left) flashes one time then nothing, no code 12, does this mean pcm may be faulty?

Monday, March 26th, 2012 AT 6:49 PM
SATURNTECH9

Code 12 is normal does your low coolant light start flashing when you have it jumped?If so see what codes flash out?

Monday, March 26th, 2012 AT 7:46 PM
HAWKNAPP

I do not have code 12, coolant temp and low level light flash one time (together) then nothing. Perhaps this is the "no communication" trans shop observed, I am sure they used an obd 1 tester instead of jumping like I am. Code 12 should be flash-short pause, flash flash, repeated three times, I am seeing only one flash! At least I can assume diagnostic part of pcm is not working. Could anything else cause such a condition, seems pcs is bad, possible replacement needed? Im stumped!

Monday, March 26th, 2012 AT 9:27 PM
SATURNTECH9

So what code do you get out of the low coolant/temp light?

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 1:01 AM
HAWKNAPP

Single flash of lights was due to normal bulb test(i inserted jumper then turned key)so I turned key on then inserted jumper. No flash! I AM GETTING NO FLASH AT ALL. NO CODES BEING OUTPUT. REPEAT. NO CODES AT ALL! Nothing. Nada ZIP! Whats up? Mayby pcm malfunction?

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 2:47 AM
SATURNTECH9

So you turned the key to the run position with the engine off then jumped the top row two far right terminals together and no code 12 etc?Did the radaitor fan turn on when you jumped it?Also the check engine light comes on when you turn on the key and turns of when you start the car?

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 6:38 AM
HAWKNAPP

That is the procedure I used, cooling fan does come on but no "check engine light" (i do not even know were it is on inst cluster) I suppose ce light should come on when ignition is turned on (bulb test) but I don't see it. Will check again this morning(i would think ce light would be obvious)is it by the speedo? In that case I may have missed it. Will get back to you, THANKS!

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 2:50 PM
SATURNTECH9

The check engine light should be on the left side when your sitting in the drivers seat down low on the cluster. If the cooling fan is coming on when jumping it sounds like its going into diagnostics mode. If the light isnt coming on when you turn the key to the run position solid till you start out it. Maybe the light is burned out or someone removed the blub or put tape over the blub have seen all those things happen.

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 4:03 PM
HAWKNAPP

Yes, no check engine light! Will check to see if bulb is burnt ect! Will get back to you THANKS!

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 4:35 PM
HAWKNAPP

Sure as shit! Black tape covering bezel! Probably trying to get car through e-check I will now try diagnostic test again and get back to you. Thanks loads!

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 5:41 PM
HAWKNAPP

Code number 25, ats circuit out of range high!(After code 12)no other codes, no trans codes (these would be low coolant light flashing). Does this help?

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 6:13 PM
SATURNTECH9

At the end of tube that plugs into your air box you will see the ats see if its plugged in or the connector is damaged. The sensors never really go bad when there used a ats.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 6:48 PM