HOW TO RESET IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE

• estrngy
  • 1994 Pontiac Grand Am

94 pontiac grand am 2.3 ohc I replaced idle air control valve manual said to ground diagnostic terminal B with ground terminal A for 5 seconds with key on then turn key off for 10 seconds then start car to check idle. My problem is there is no diagnostic terminal B in the ALDL connector. What to do? Thanks

Friday, June 29th, 2012 AT 6:03 AM

• caradiodoc

You're probably looking at it backwards. "A" and "B" are the only two terminals next to each other in one corner of the plug. There's one of those two pins missing in all the other three corners.

If the idle speed motor is working normally, you shouldn't have to do anything. The same part is used on Chrysler engines, and in the rare event one fails, you just pop a new one in and you're done. The Engine Computer controls it as necessary.

Friday, June 29th, 2012 AT 6:14 AM
  • Wrenchtech

You can simply disconnect the battery if you want to clear the adaptive memory but that really isn't necessary when replacing the IAC.

Friday, June 29th, 2012 AT 10:12 AM
  • mikederouin88

All general motors vehicles automatically re learn idle every time a variable is changed

Friday, June 29th, 2012 AT 10:18 AM
  • Wrenchtech

[quote]All general motors vehicles automatically re learn idle every time a variable is changed [/quote]

Correct, The only thing changed with resetting memory is the starting point.

Friday, June 29th, 2012 AT 10:38 AM
  • estrngy

Thanks guys for the quick response. I was going by what the Chilton repair manual said to do. I drove the car for 45 minutes shut it off started it back up idles just like it suppose to.

Friday, June 29th, 2012 AT 2:00 PM