WHAT ARE MY BEST OPTIONS

1994 Plymouth Voyager

LP

April, 2, 2011 AT 1:49 AM

I have a 94 Plymouth Expresso Caravan with 154,090 miles and am now having transmission issues it****** when it changes gears espeically 2 to 3 gear. I can not get it inspected due to the service engine light. There is no body damage. What is my best options. Get it fixed? Sell it get what I can? Trade it? Sell for scrap or donate it anf get tax write off? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thx LP

caradiodoc

April, 2, 2011 AT 2:04 AM

I have an '88 Grand Caravan that I would never part with in favor of anything newer with all kinds of silly computers. I also have a '95 Grand Caravan that is infinitely less reliable because of all of those computers, but even that is worlds better than the '96 and newer models. My personal opinion is have it repaired. A total transmission rebuild, if needed, will cost about as much as five new car payments, but with a new car, the payments will continue along with the expensive repair bills that people seem willing to accept as normal.

As an alternative, if you can be without it for a few weeks, is to find a nearby community college with an Automotive program, and let the students perform the repairs. They will be well-supervised, and they typically charge for parts and very little labor. The trade-off is you must wait until they are studying transmissions, and it can take weeks to get the van back.