I HAVE A OLDS 88 3

1994 Oldsmobile Delta 88

Fabuladico

November, 12, 2011 AT 7:33 AM

I have a olds 88, 3.8 engine. It has an intermittent problem. Generally, and not intermittent, it hesitates when I hit the gas. That may or may not be related to the problem. There will be times when it suddenly loses power.

fixitmr

November, 12, 2011 AT 7:37 AM

Restate question in reply you got cut off.

Fabuladico

November, 12, 2011 AT 9:47 PM

I have a 1994 Oldsmobile Delta 88, 3.8 engine. It has an
intermittent problem. Generally, and not intermittent, it hesitates when hit the gas. That may or be related to the problem. There will times when it suddenly loses power particularly on the freeway. It will slow considerably and applying more gas does nothing. If I exit it will operate normally at side street speeds. Other times even on side streets it will not accelerate. If I stop and let it run it will chug and spit and backfire as if it wants to kill (which it has on occasion). If I play with the throttle and get it to rev, it may correct itself for several days. If I start off with a cold engine, it will chug and move very slowly until the engine warms up a bit. If I let it warm up before going anywhere (until it is running smoothly) it will not chug down the road (but it may have the other problem). The check engine light does not come on (burned out bulb?).
I have replaced the following in the past year: fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel pressure regulater with rail (recycled)
computer
ignition module
camshaft position sensor
plugs
wires
Any ideas?

fixitmr

November, 13, 2011 AT 12:32 AM

So have you tried reading codes?

Fabuladico

November, 14, 2011 AT 2:53 AM

I do not know what "reading codes" is.

fixitmr

November, 14, 2011 AT 6:42 AM

CEL has memory in computer that is accessed thru data port by code reader. Go to local auto chain store and ask for codes to be read.

Fabuladico

December, 1, 2011 AT 4:18 AM

I have checked the codes. The reader states "no codes stored". Next suggestion?

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet