RPM NEEDLE GOING CRAZY!!!

1994 Nissan Pathfinder

tlowdon

February, 18, 2012 AT 1:25 PM

On my 94 Pathfinder SE V6 Automatic yesterday I noticed while driving the RPM Needle jumped up to Redline then back down then it did it again and again it did it a bunch of times then it would jump halfway then go back down and do it a bunch of times then it would go dead for a while and then start going crazy again then it would work normal for a while then start jumping and going crazy again. It's been doing this the past few days. The only thing I did before it was happening was gave a VW a jump and had an Oil Change. So if you could please Help and give me some suggestions I'd REALLY appreciate it! Thanks in Advance.

rivermikerat

February, 19, 2012 AT 4:16 AM

You may have fried something in the ECU. Check the wiring to the distributor.

tlowdon

February, 19, 2012 AT 5:17 AM

Ok thank you very much!

tlowdon

February, 19, 2012 AT 5:23 AM

So if I did fry something what needs to be replaced? The ECU or the Distributor or Both and how will I be able to tell? I'm wondering if it has something to do when I jumped that car?

rivermikerat

February, 19, 2012 AT 5:42 AM

Most likely the ECU, unfortunately. Pay special attention to loose grounds and connections. There's also a control module under the right front seat. The grey wire there feeds the tach.

tlowdon

February, 19, 2012 AT 7:27 AM

Ok thanks again!

rivermikerat

February, 19, 2012 AT 9:47 AM

My pleasure. Let us know what you find out and tell your friends about us!

tlowdon

February, 19, 2012 AT 10:40 AM

Ok sounds good I hope I can figure it out and I always tell my friends how Professional you guys are!

rivermikerat

February, 19, 2012 AT 9:08 PM

The tach signal comes from a couple of sources. There's a crank position sensor in the distributor, and the negative, or tach side of the coil. Those feed into the control module I mentioned above, which generates the signal to the tach.

tlowdon

February, 20, 2012 AT 2:29 AM

Ok I'm not to Mechanically inclined so I'll have to wait for a Buddy of mine to check it out thanks again!

rivermikerat

February, 20, 2012 AT 3:12 AM

My pleasure. Let us know what you find out.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars