PASSENGER POWER WINDOW DOESN'T RAISE OR LOWER

1994 Mercury Cougar

MStrawder

April, 25, 2012 AT 12:54 AM

When the switch is pressed, you can hear the motor moving. The sound is like a metal 'thump thump', but the window won't raise or lower. I removed the motor and the gear on it spins it both directions when power is applied. I can manipulate the regulator manually to make the window go up and down. I haven't removed the regulator, but don't feel any broken teeth on it and the window is properly fastened to it. I have also tried re-inserting the motor with the regulator at different positions, but no luck. Is it possible the motor's internals are worn and won't work under load, but spin freely otherwise or have I missed something all together?

April, 25, 2012 AT 12:55 AM

I would replace the motor and regulator together. They are not that much and the window will work better.

MStrawder

April, 25, 2012 AT 1:03 AM

Not currently an option unfortunately and I need to get this window operable as I'm still working on the a/c and it's quite hot here during the day. I've seen several kits to replace the bushings and drive gear for the motor for about 1/2 the cost of a new motor. Hence my question as to whether it's possible for the motor to fail under load, but work otherwise. Again, the regulator itself holds the window stable in whatever position it's in, but it won't raise or lower electronically.

April, 26, 2012 AT 11:30 PM

Yes, it can fail under a load but usually the bushings in the motor goes bad and the brushes also break from all the movement.

Did you try as used unit?

MStrawder

April, 27, 2012 AT 1:15 AM

I removed the motor again and holding the drive gear with a rag applied power and sure enough, the gear stayed stationary, but the motor was still going internally. So I figure something within the motor must be bad such as a bushing. Kit to fix it was around $30, but a new motor was around $40. I opted for the new motor and now the window works great.

April, 27, 2012 AT 10:43 AM

Good for you. Smart move

Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Window Switch Replacement and Test
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Dynamat Door Installation
Windshield Wiper Replacement Toyota Corolla