MY CAR MADE A CLUNKING NOISE THEN STALLED

1994 Dodge Stealth

Dstealth

September, 19, 2012 AT 12:07 AM

What is most likely the situation? Now makes a grinding noise when the clutch is released.

I have a 1994 Dodge Stealth manual transmission, it had started to sound like a freight train when accelerating and before I took it in, I heard a clunking sound in the engine. I slowed down and the car stalled and wouldn't start up again for awhile. I eventually got it going again in 2nd gear and moved it just enough to get it off the road. It made a clunking noise like something was moving around in the engine even when rolling it in neutral. Now if I start it (have to jump start it because battery died) I hear a grinding noise when I start to release the clutch, my shifter starts to shake just a bit too.

caradiodoc

September, 19, 2012 AT 12:51 AM

Your description at first suggested the clutch disc came apart but if the battery is also not charging you might want to look at the harmonic balancer on the lower front of the engine. Check if the serpentine belt is moving. If it's not, the cast iron outer ring on the balancer may have let loose.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram