V8 OVERHEATING AND STALLING. STARTS RIGHT UP AFTER DAY OR TWO. HELP?

1994 Dodge Dakota

linmarent

July, 30, 2012 AT 3:01 PM

Hi, I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota V8. It only has 80,000 miles on it. It sat for awhile which is why the low miles. I've been having this problem. When I drive for any distance (25+ miles) it will start running rough. Sometimes it overheats, sometimes not. It will act like it isn't getting enough gas. It will sputter and slow down and the rpms jump all over the place. Sometimes I can tap the gas and it will run for a little longer but usually it just backfires and stalls. If I leave it for a day or two it will start right back up. Here is what I've done so far:

tested battery
changed wires & plugs
changed air filter
checked fuel pump
put on new coil
the thermostat is only a few months old
added dry gas
cleaned maf
cleaned throttle body
changed pcv valve (it was broken)

I have a scanner coming the mail and I'll put that on but I'm at a loss. This is my work truck and I could really use some help. Thanks for any ideas!

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

linmarent

July, 30, 2012 AT 3:03 PM

Oh I forgot I also changed the oil pump because it has an odd issue. When you are idling the oil pressure drops and the light comes on. The pressure is fine, I tested it. Changing the oil pump seems to have helped a little but it still does it, especially when towing.

Docfixit

July, 30, 2012 AT 3:07 PM

Checked fuel pump pressure 35-45 psi? Check (MIL) light on?
Fuel drained and new added? How long setting up?

linmarent

July, 30, 2012 AT 3:14 PM

Hi, yes the fuel pressure was at 35-45. No MIL light on. I used up all the fuel and added new. This has been doing it for over a month now. I also changed the Oil Sending Unit.

Docfixit

July, 30, 2012 AT 3:17 PM

Maybe dirty injectors try SEaFoam in system can get a Walmart

linmarent

August, 1, 2012 AT 3:20 PM

Hi, I put the SeaFoam and still same thing. Any other things I should try?

Docfixit

August, 2, 2012 AT 7:37 PM

Pull DIST cap look at contacts see if worn or corroded check for play in rotor ie. Shaft and look at Optical sensor see if debris or contact marks present.