Heater

1994 DODGE DAKOTA
  • 1994 DODGE DAKOTA
The venting system is blowing cold air through the vent at the floor on the passengers side. Warm air is coming from everywhere else but there. Also, the fan speed only works on the highest setting of 4. When the dial is on the 1 2 or 3 the fans do not work. Are these related? What can I do?
Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 6:05 AM

You have two problems. First, the fan issue requires that you replace the blower motor resister. It is under the hood, passanger side, on the firewall. It's aprox 3 inches down from the top of the firewall and has a large wiring connector pluged into it. Two screws hold it to the firewall. Just unplug it, unscrew it, and replace it. They are not too expensive. I'm thinking under 15 dollars. Please pay attention to the condition of the plug. I've seen them melted down and requre repair or replacement. If you have any trouble with this or additional questions, let me know. As far as the plug, if it is melted down, chances are the blower motor is drawing too many amps and overheating the system. You will know if the new resister goes bad in a short period of time.

Now for the heat problem, check under the dash for two things. First, make sure the HVAC ductwork is still all attached. If it is, check for vacuum hoses that may have come disconnected. The air flow vents are actuated by vacuum. There could be one off keeping a door in the wrong position.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 6:12 AM