I just replaced the starter and solenoid on my 1994 Chevy C1500, 5.7 liter, 2WD. It has the late '94 type smaller diameter starter. When reconnecting the battery the engine attempts to start. The key is not in the ignition. The cables are connected to the correct terminal posts on the starter, and the two cables are not touching.
I removed the "new" remanufactured starter, replaced with yet another new starter and the same thing occurs. I then replaced the ignition switch. Still the same thing. I disconnected the smaller gauge wire from the solenoid which I assume removes the ignition switch from the circuit entirely. The vehicle still tries to turn over when reconnecting the battery.
Is it likely that I received two "new" starters with stuck solenoids or is there another possibility?
The purple wire on the starter circuit could be shorted to the red input wire on the ignition switch
February, 13, 2011 AT 6:42 PM
Yes, I thought about that so I removed the lighter gauge (purple) wire entirely. The ignition switch is no longer in the circuit but the starter still engages and attempts to turn the engine when the battery is reconnected. The heavey gauge (battery positive) wire is the only one connected to the starter. I cannot think of anything else except the solenoid stuck in the closed position or an internal short on the starter or solenoid. I just find it odd that two new starters would have the same issue.
Are there any other electrical issues that could be going on with the vehicle that would create this condition?
February, 13, 2011 AT 8:05 PM
One way to test if the Solenoid is stuck is take the starter out hook it up to a jump pack or a battery charger have the groung or black wire to the housing and the red wire to the power in and if it turns over its stuck and if not use a nother wire to jump power to the control turminal and see if it turns over
February, 16, 2011 AT 1:54 AM
Thanks for all of the input! Last night when removing the starter (for the third time) I noticed a rather large burr on the ring tongue terminal attached to the vehicle's solenoid-to-battery cable. It turns out the burr was allowing an arc to the ignition terminal on the solenoid, effectively creating a shorted relay and giving the appearance that the solenoid was stuck in the closed position.
We're up and running now. Hope this feedback helps anyone who may be experiencing similar issues.