My car key wont come out, will turn to start ok.

PHILCAT
  • 1993 TOYOTA CAMRY

My car key wont come out, will turn to start ok, will turn off ok, but wont turn all way left and come out what should I do replace cylinder

Sunday, December 16th, 2012 AT 1:36 PM

KHLOW2008

The interlock system can prevent the key from being turned to lock position if the gear shift getting the signal that it is in Park position.
Check the gear shift position and try wiggling it and see if you can turn the key to remove it.

Sunday, December 16th, 2012 AT 7:49 PM
PHILCAT

Tried that still wont go to off position, is there anything else to try, or should take to mechanic and have checked shifter connections or something else, thanks phil

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 12:09 AM
KHLOW2008

At the ignition key and lock cylinder there is a solenoid with 2 wires, White/Black and Blue/Black. You would have to remove the steering column cover if you can't see the wire connector.

Unplug the connector and listen for a clicking noise and test if you could remove the key.

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 12:37 PM
PHILCAT

Can I just take cover around key clylinder off and pull iginition switch out and disconnect wires or do I have to remove steering cover off to get to them? Thanks phil

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 AT 2:28 AM
KHLOW2008

Steering column cover means the cover around the ignition key cylinder.

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 AT 10:10 AM