DO YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE TIMING BELT TO REMOVE THE WATER PUMP?

• Elvivar
  • 1993 Plymouth Acclaim

The over that attahes to the water pump cracks due to very cold weather and we are tryin to get it off. But would really rather not have to take the timing belt off if we can get away with it

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 7:39 PM

• rasmataz

What liter engine is this?

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 7:48 PM
  • Elvivar

2.5 4 cylinder

-1
Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 8:57 PM
  • rasmataz

No need to mess with the timing belt

WATER PUMP
Removal
Drain cooling system. Remove upper and lower radiator hoses. On models with A/C, remove air conditioning compressor from solid mount bracket with lines attached. Remove alternator. On 2.2L Turbo III, remove A/C solid mount bracket.
On 2.2L TBI and 2.5L, remove mounting bolts No. 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7 from A/C solid mount bracket.. Remove front mounting nut No. 2, and remove front bolt No. 3. Rotate solid mount bracket away from engine and slide on No. 2 mounting stud until free.
On models without A/C, remove alternator and mounting bracket. On all models, disconnect hoses from water pump. Remove water pump retaining bolts and spacer (if equipped). Remove water pump.
Remove water pump pulley. Remove water pump-to-housing bolts. Separate water pump from housing. Remove "O" ring from housing groove.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 9:57 PM
  • Elvivar

Okay we found out that the water pump is actully not it its what the water pump is attached too, is that called the water pump housing and if so how do I found one casue can't seem to find one anywhere. And noone can seems to weld it shut, its made out of cast aluminium. The crack is very small and they where thinking about putting gb weld on it. Any advice would be greatful

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 1:42 AM
  • rasmataz

Well, either we do or die-go for the JB weld for temporary fix till you can fund one thru the internet

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 1:56 AM
  • Elvivar

Thats my problem actully. I can't only find the housing for 3.0 liter not the 2.5. Been searching everywhere

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 2:54 AM