CAR SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING WOUT WARNING

1993 Oldsmobile 88

MargaretPD

November, 20, 2012 AT 9:24 PM

Car shut off while driving, w/out warning. Towed home and fuel pump didn't/doesn't seem to be working then discovered fuel pump relay wasn't getting signal. Not quite sure where or how to trouble shoot or where look for fixing it.

November, 20, 2012 AT 9:36 PM

My info shows an oil pressure switch in the fuel pump circuit, just a redundant power supply. Once you crank it enough to bring up oil pressure and that switch closes, the pump will run regardless of relay. Voltage for the load side of relay and o/p switch, comes from the same fuse. Check the fuse and voltage on the fuse circuit. Fuse number 6--20 amp in relay center.

MargaretPD

November, 20, 2012 AT 10:16 PM

Thanks for your reply. That is helpful. I checked the fuses in the small panel next to the passenger door. I have no power to all of the fuses on the lower row (numbers 5, 6, 7, 8). Is there something I should look for to resolve that issue. I do know that when you disturb the system the car wont start for about 30 minutes. Thanks for your help.

November, 20, 2012 AT 11:11 PM

The passenger compartment relay center says to be behind right side of dash. Not sure you looking in the right place for that fuse?

Some fuses are hot all the time. Some fuses go hot when you turn on the key.

Any applicable trouble codes, you should be able to check mil codes, yourself. You use a jumper wire between A & B terminals at the datalink connector. Turn key just till dash lites come on, no further, no crank. Then the mil starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes.

Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Replace Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang