CONNECTING ROD ASSEMBLY DIRECTION AND HOW TO CLEAN LIFTERS

1993 Infiniti J30

lp23601

June, 10, 2011 AT 3:29 AM

1. When assembly connecting rod based on manual all 6 connecting rods should face the same direction (when I face the front of the engine the oil holes of all six connecting rods are on my left). Is this correct? If that is the case cylinder 1, 3, 5 and 2, 4, 6 will have different oil spill pattern because the piston movements are different between 1, 3, 5 and 2, 4, 6. Should I assembly 1, 3, 5 and make the oil holes face the center (1, 3, 5 and 2, 4, 6 facing each other)? What is the right way to arrange all the connecting rods?

2. I took all 24 hydraulic lifter off. When I try to press the middle of the non-flat side of a lifter (the other side is flat with a hole in the center) it is not moving at all. Is that normal? How I can clean a lifter. I got a blown head gasket so water got into oil, thus lifters too.

Docfixit

June, 10, 2011 AT 1:15 PM

Pistons installed with front mark on piston to front of engine where the rods removed from pistons? As for lifters they require couple hundred pounds pressure to depress. There is a press for this I have used a drill press with a push rod chucked in drill. I would not be concerned about cleaning out.

lp23601

October, 26, 2011 AT 7:32 PM

Hi, did a search finally find my post today. Sorry for the delay.

I am not sure if I got your first question. Apologies if not.

I am rebuilding the engine so yes the rods were removed and new oversized pistons were put on. Unfortunately I forgot to write down how I took it off. As you can see from your diagram the oil hole is on the left (if I stand in front of the car), assuming for both piston rows, 1, 3, 5 on the left, and 2, 4, 6 on the right, thus the oil jet string will have a different pattern in relation to their own cylinder bores, the oil jet on the left (1, 3, 5) will spill lower than the ones on the right because of the gravity.

So should I arrange the connecting rods so all the oil holes either face each other, or all face outward?

Thanks for the answers to my lifter question.

rivermikerat

November, 28, 2011 AT 3:35 AM

The image shows cylinder number etched on the connecting rod. They should all be installed with the same orientation.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars