MANIFOLD STOP LEAK

1993 Dodge Intrepid

Jimmiez

April, 12, 2011 AT 1:04 AM

It appears I have an intake manifold or head gasket leak as I have white smoke/steam coming out the exhaust pipe. The coolant level needs replenished occasionally, which probably confirms coolant is getting into the combustion chamber. My question is, do those "permanent stop leak" products work without causing other issues? Thank you.

caradiodoc

April, 12, 2011 AT 1:15 AM

If they did, mechanics would be out of work. There is one relatively new product that sounds promising, but if the engine has been overheated a head might be warped. They should also be checked for cracks. You might also have the cooling system tested for combustion gases. If they are present, cylinder pressure is pushing gases into the coolant. That will drive any sealing chemicals away from the source of the leak.

Jimmiez

April, 12, 2011 AT 2:03 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I guess I suspected that answer, but I'm just trying to get another year out of that vehicle. Just got off unemployment and have to save some for another car.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Corolla
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL