CHEVY , ACCELERATION PROBLEM AND GAS SMELL FROM UNDER THE HOOD

1993 Chevrolet Corsica

mechanicmom

July, 31, 2011 AT 11:21 PM

Hello, I have a 1993 Chevrolet Corsica, 3.1L V-6 engine, 125c transmission, it's the LT version. My car has no umph at all getting going from a dead-stop or accelerating uphill and I can smell gas coming from under the hood the whole time it is running. Plus when I do get the car rolling and let off the throttle it will continue at the same speed and even start accelerating some. I have been told this problem could be the throttle position sensor. Could it be the TPS, or something else? I just bought this car not to long ago and my husband had to do alot of work to the front suspension already.

Jacobandnickolas

October, 9, 2011 AT 5:19 AM

If you smell fuel, I would say no to the TPS. Check for fuel leaks at the fuel rail, where the injectors attach, and where they mount to the engine. The o-rings can leak on them causing a leak. Any fuel leak can be dangerous. Also, check fuel pump pressure to make sure the fuel pressure regulator is working properly.

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replacing Head Gasket
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla